The creative process is a place where we can drop into our memories and imagination, to try to tell a story that will make a difference in the world. Having written five books, I understand what I call the labyrinth of the creative process–you feel like you’re on the right path–until you don’t. That is where a mentor/ coach comes in. I use both terms because a mentor supports the project as a whole and the emotional journey, and a coach helps you go from point A to point B, and teaches you what you need to know to get there.
Writers need several things to stay focused and make real progress:
- Support in deciding what your story is about—the themes and topics–what the reader will learn and take away from your story..
- Feedback to develop your skills—story structure, scenes, dialogue, character development, tone, and voice.
- Help with navigating the writing world, from writing and editing to publishing and marketing.
Most of my coaching clients are memoirists, but I also work with non-fiction/self-help. I know what it takes to go from an idea to a published book. Whether you have just the seed of an idea or if you’re ready for feedback on your manuscript, I can support your development as an author.
What is Coaching for Writers?
I have read that writing a book means considering the project an apprenticeship–a learning path. I found it to be true as i wrote my books, and I treated my writing journey as a chance to learn new skills, ideas, and develop my writing style. I always enjoyed the support of a teacher or mentor–they all opened my eyes to something new.
As your writing coach, I will:
- Help you develop your story-writing skills.
- Teach you what makes a good story great.
- Walk you through the three stages of memoir writing: Kickstarting Your Memoir, The Muddy Middle, and Birthing Your Book Into the World (learn more about that here!)
- Help you create deadlines so you are motivated to get your work done.
- Assist you with the editing and publishing process.
- Send you handouts of relevant articles and posts about writing.
How Does a Coaching Session Work?
A coaching session includes a half-hour of reading and editing and a half-hour of one-on-one discussion of your work by phone.
Between sessions, you will write your story, create an outline, or free-write some pieces and send it to me for feedback.
On the phone, we’ll discuss the structure of your story, your desired audience, and what will get you to your final draft. If you’re a memoirist, you might also find yourself in need of emotional support to get through writing tough passages that were painful for you; with my thirty-eight years of experience as a therapist, I can help you work through these issues as they arise. The inner critic, for reasons of doubt or family response to a memoir, is most writers’ worst enemy. I have found solutions to help break the critic’s hold on you–I learned it the hard way myself.
Where Are You in Your Writing Life?
- Do you have ideas, story seeds, and memories that have meaning for you—but you aren’t sure what to do with them?
- Do you question your project?
- Is your inner critic stopping you from writing your story?
Wherever you are, I can help you figure out how to tell your story. . I look forward to learning about what you want to work on, and helping you meet your goals!
Contact me today for your complimentary strategy session.
Memoir Coaching Packages
$595.00 (Premier Coaching Package)
In these six sessions, we work on the craft of writing a memoir, and address the process–emotionally and mentally–that is part of writing a long work. A session is 1/2 hour reading and commenting using the edit program in Word, and a 1/2 hour phone consultation. I offer homework assignments and deadlines. Structure keeps you on track and gives you accountability. With accountability, you will get your writing done!
During the coaching process, we examine questions like these:
- How do I get started?
- Should I make an outline, or just start writing my memoir?
- Is it ready for an agent or publisher to read?
- Was I too judgmental about characters in my memoir?
- What about plot?
- Will the reader think I’m feeling sorry for myself when I write about the dark stories?
- Can I change names in memoir and not call it fiction?
Private coaching/mentoring at $125/hour
125.00 (1 hour)
If you’d like to get acquainted with me about how we can work together on your book, a single session can help you figure out if we are a fit. Or you may know what kind of help you need, and want to get some focused feedback. I could review some pages, discover your story arc, and help you plan the next stages of your book. You might have a specific problem with your writing, and need an experienced writer’s point of view. Sometimes memoir writers get stuck in the inner critic voice, and need to talk it through. Let me know how we can best use the hour.
Private coaching/mentoring at $300 for 3 sessions
300.00 (3 sessions)
A memoir is a story of transformation and change–but memoirists are exposing a great deal of private information. Will that silence you? It doesn’t have to!
We meet on the phone to talk about the skills and support you need to create success for you as a writer. You set the agenda for the call and bring your questions. You might want me to read through a first draft, look at your outline, or have me read a few pages to assess your themes, focus and voice. Contact me to set up a time to talk! The three sessions might be used to give accountability, and push past those doubts and stuck places.