I love working with writers! The creative process is a place where we can drop into our true creative selves and make a difference in the world. I have written and edited five books, and each one was a journey down a new creative path where I had to decide what the structure and message would be, how to choose the language and tone I would use, and—most of all—how to meet the challenge of delivering something that would make a difference, I hoped, in the world. That’s what writers do, after all: they make a difference with each book.
It’s easy to get off track when you’re first starting to write. In order to stay focused and make real progress, you need three things:
- Support in deciding what your story is about—the themes and topics you will cover.
- Feedback to develop your skills—story structure, scenes, dialogue, character development, tone, and voice.
- Help with navigating the writing world, from writing and editing to publishing and marketing.
Most of my coaching clients are memoirists, but I also work with non-fiction/self-help and fiction writers. I have been published in all three genres, and know what it takes to go from idea to published book. Whether you have just the seed of an idea or are ready for feedback on your final draft, I can help you develop yourself as a successful author.
What is Coaching for Writers?
The best way to learn to write is through apprenticeship; it helps greatly to have a mentor/coach who will guide you to write the best book you can. Each genre has its tools and skill sets, and if you learn these as you are writing, you will be able to get your book done and out into the world much more quickly.
As your writing coach, I will:
- Help you develop your story-writing skills.
- Teach you what makes a good story great.
- Walk you through the three stages of memoir writing: Kickstarting Your Memoir, The Muddy Middle, and Birthing Your Book Into the World (learn more about that here!)
- Help you create deadlines so you are motivated to get your work done.
- Assist you with the editing and publishing process.
- Send you handouts of relevant articles and posts about writing.
How Does a Coaching Session Work?
A coaching session includes a half-hour of reading and editing and a half-hour of one-on-one discussion of your work by phone (if you live locally, we can also arrange some face-to-face sessions).
During the week, you will write your story, create an outline, or free-write the raw draft of your work, and send it to me; then I will read it and edit or comment according to the feedback you are looking for.
On the phone, we’ll discuss the structure of your story, your desired audience, and what will get you to your final draft. If you’re a memoirist, you might also find yourself in need of emotional support to get through writing tough passages that were painful for you; with my thirty years of experience as a therapist, I can help you work through these issues as they arise, allowing you to move forward.
Where Are You in Your Writing Life?
- Do you have ideas, story seeds, and memories that have meaning for you—but you aren’t sure what to do with them all?
- Do you wonder whether you should write your family stories in memoir or fiction?
- Are you in the middle of a writing project, but can’t seem to finish it?
- Have you always wanted to write a book, but aren’t sure how?
Wherever you are in your writing journey, I can help you figure out how to tell your story, and how to make it valuable to your readers. Your story is unique, and it takes courage and skill to get it on the page. I look forward to learning about what you want to work on, and helping you meet your goals!
Contact me today for your complimentary strategy session.
Memoir Coaching Packages
$595.00 (Premier Coaching Package)
In these six sessions, we work on the craft of writing a memoir, and talk about the process–emotionally and mentally–that is part of writing a long work. A session is 1/2 hour reading and commenting on your work using the edit program in Word, and phone consultation. I offer homework assignments and deadlines. This kind of structure keeps you on track and gives you accountability. With accountability, you will get your writing done!
During the coaching process, we examine questions like these:
- How do I get started?
- Should I make an outline, or just start writing my memoir?
- Will the book make sense to the outside reader?
- Is it ready for an agent or publisher to read?
- Was I too judgmental about characters in my memoir?
- What about plot?
- Will the reader think I’m feeling sorry for myself when I write about the dark stories?
- Can I change names in memoir and not call it fiction?
- What about changing places, descriptions, and identifying information—is it still a memoir?
- Can I write well enough to get published?
Private coaching/mentoring at $125/hour
125.00 (1 hour)
If you’d like to get acquainted with me about how we might work together on your book, a single session can help you figure out if we are a fit. Or you may know what kind of help you need, and want to get some focused feedback. I could review some pages, discover your story arc, and help you plan the next stages of your book. You might have a specific problem you’re having with your writing, and need an experienced writer’s point of view. Sometimes memoir writers get stuck in the inner critic voices, and need to talk it through to get to the next stage. You can let me know how we can best use the hour.
Private coaching/mentoring at $300 for 3 sessions
300.00 (3 sessions)
A memoir is a story of transformation and change–but as a writer, we realize that we are exposing a great deal that the public will read. Will that silence you? It doesn’t have to!
We meet on the phone for an in-depth consultation about your work. We will talk about what skills and support you need to create success for you as a writer and author. You set the agenda for the call, and bring your questions. You might want someone to read through a first draft, look at your outline, or have me read a few pages to assess your themes, focus and voice. Contact me to set up a time to talk!